Monday, September 3, 2012

Secret Ingredient Strawberry Pie

 
     Each time I opened the refrigerator door this weekend I had a box of strawberries that stares at me. They needed to either be eaten or used in a recipe. Unfortunately, they didn't have super flavor soooo they needed a recipe. I decided to make them into pie! I ran across a strawberry pie recipe that used jell-o and 7-up....I thought that was different so I had to give it a try. However, in their recipe they didn't use any actual strawberries in the cooked mixture....so I had to change that. I adapted the recipe to be gluten free and tweaked it and here it is:

Secret Ingredient Strawberry Pie

Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 T. cornstarch
10 ounces of lemon lime soda (like 7-up or Sprite - regular or diet)
1 (3 ounce) box of strawberry gelatin
1 pound of fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
1 gluten free pie crust precooked and cooled
Homemade whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping

Place the sugar, salt, and 1/2 C of the sliced berries in a small saucepan and let it sit for 5-10 min. This will draw the juices out of the berries. Then use a spoon or a whisk to mash the mixture. Add the cornstarch and 7-up and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and thoroughly whisk in the strawberry gelatin. Set aside to cool (about 10 min.)

Layer the strawberry slices in the precooked, cooled crust. Pour the gelatin mixture evenly all across the top of the strawberries. Chill until set and serve topped with a dollop of whipped cream or Cool Whip.

Shhh....these are your "secret" ingredients
 
While your pie crust is baking, slice your strawberries
Put about 1/2 C. of the sliced berries in a pan with the salt and sugar. Allow them to work on drawing the yummy strawberry juices out. Then mush the berries, add the other ingredients and cook until thickened.
Layer the sliced strawberries in the baked shell
Pour the cooked mixture over the sliced berries (don't overfill yours like I did..oops)
Refrigerate until the pie filling is set.
Top with a dollop of cool whip
 
     This pie is super simple to make if you use a pre-made crust. I just picked up a box of Kinnikinnick ready made crusts. I hope you enjoy this yummy strawberry pie.
 
-Jessica
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment