Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pink Champagne Cake





     The New Year has been celebrated......the world didn't end over night (I heard a rumor that the Mayan calendar didn't go up to 2012 so we were all doomed ha, I guess we showed them. We survived the night). If you are like me and not much of a partier, you may have some leftover champagne. I had most of the bottle left. However, I knew that would be the case so I had been working on this awesome pink champagne cake recipe for you all! I like cake more than I like champagne anyways. Maybe I should resolve to eat more cake?
    
Pink Champagne Cake

1 1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Butter (at room temperature)
4 eggs
2 C Gluten Free Flour Mix
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 T. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Xanthan Gum
1 C. Pink Champagne
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Pre-Heat oven to 350 deg. Line the bottom of two 8 or 9 in. round cake pans with wax paper. Generously spray the pans with cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Mixing completely before adding in the next egg. Add flour, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum, champagne and vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed for 1 minute.

Pour half of the batter into each of the two prepared pans. Bake for 20-25 min. in a 350 deg. oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out "clean".

Remove from the oven and allow cakes to cool in the pan for about 10 min. Use a knife to go around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Turn the cakes out on a wire rack to finish cooling. Remove the wax paper from the cake.

Place one cake layer on a pretty plate or platter. Top the layer with 1 cup or frosting or jam. Place second layer on top of the first. Spread frosting over the rest of the cake.

Pink Champagne Frosting

1 C. Champagne
1/2 C. Butter (1 stick)
1/2 C. Shortening
4 C. Powdered Sugar

Place 1 cup of champagne in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium-high heat until reduced to 3 tablespoons.  Allow to cool.

In a bowl using a mixer, cream softened butter, shortening, and powdered sugar together. Once the frosting is thick and fluffy, pour in the reduced 3 tablespoons Champagne and mix well.
The first thing that I did was start the champagne reduction for the frosting. 1 C Champagne reduced to 3 T.
While the champagne was reducing I mixed up the cake.
Mix, Mix, Mix
Divide the batter evenly into two 8 or 9 in. round pans.
Mix the frosting while the cakes cool.
Place the first cake on a pretty plate
Smear Jam, preserves or frosting over the first cake layer. Don't go clear to the edge if you are using jam or preserves.
Place the 2nd layer on top of the first.
I usually start frosting the top.....no particular reason why :)
Frost the top and sides of the cake.
I used the tines of a fork and made some designs on the top.


This cake is amazingly good. However, it is super sweet so invite some friends over to help you eat it!! Wishing you all the best in 2012!! Happy New Year USASillyYaks!

-Jessica


















2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, but I'll probably screw it up, so just tell me how good it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not going to lie....it was amazing!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your work and believe we should totally be bff's ha The bonus would be if you are my bff you wouldn't have to make the cake, I would share with you. :) Take care!!

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete