Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Breakfast Bars


     Happy National Chocolate Chip Day!!! Ok, I confess I had no idea this holiday even existed. HOWEVER, I think it is a great idea and we can always use more holidays that require chocolate! Right?!?!
     I decided that ANYBODY could share a chocolate chip cookie recipe, so I have opted for a different use of my chocolate chips. I'm going to show you a favorite breakfast recipe of mine. Yes, that's right, chocolate for breakfast!! Woooo hoooo! Oh and it is also combined with a old favorite of mine....peanut butter. I think you will love it.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Breakfast Bars

1/2 C. Peanut Butter (creamy or crunchy)
3 T. Honey
2/3 C. Crushed Chex Cereal (Honey Nut is my favorite to use)
1/3 C. Nonfat Dry Powdered Milk
1/2 C. Mini Chocolate Chips

Mix all of the ingredients together. Drop by large spoon fulls onto a square of waxed paper. Fold the wax paper over the mixture and flatten with your hand. (try to keep it a uniform shape either circular or square/rectangle). Fold the wax paper over the bar and store in a air tight container in the refrigerator or freezer. Continue with the rest of the mixture. The recipe should make 6-8 bars.



Pooh Bear forgot to get into the picture above....he must have been napping.
Mmmm Chocolate!

I dump all of the ingredients into a gallon storage bag and knead until combined. Then the bag can be thrown away and there are no messy dishes to clean!!

Drop a large spoon full of the mixture onto a square of waxed paper.

Fold over the edge of the wax paper and smoosh it down with your hand.
Continue forming the bars. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
Unwrap and enjoy for breakfast or a snack.




I hope you enjoy these breakfast bars. You can double the recipe to make more at one time if you have a larger family. I also love them for a snack.

-Jessica




No comments:

Post a Comment