Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Dirt Dessert.......Happy Spring!


     Today is the first day of Spring!!! Spring is my favorite season. The temperatures are mild and the flowers are blooming. I LOVE it! I decided that I would make a gluten free version of Dirt Dessert to commemorate the first day of Spring!

Disclaimer: No gummy worms were harmed in the making of this blog.

Dirt Dessert - the gluten free way

1 package cream cheese (8oz), Softened
1 C. Powdered Sugar
3 1/2 C. Cold Milk
2 Packages(3.4 oz) Pudding Mix (use vanilla, chocolate, or white chocolate for best results)
1 Carton (16 oz) Whipped Topping, thawed
1 package gluten free cream filled sandwich cookies, crushed (Glutino and Kinnikinnick both make gf)
1 package gummy worms (check labels to be sure they are gf)

In a large bowl beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth, set aside. In a second large bowl combine the pudding mix and cold milk. Whisk until mixed completely. Let stand for about 2 minutes or until it is soft-set. Gradually stir the pudding mixture into the cream cheese mixture. Mix until creamy and completely combined. Mix 1/2 C. of the crushed cookies into the mixture.  Fold the whipped topping into the pudding/cream cheese/cookie mixture.

Spread approximately 1/2 C. crushed cookies on the bottom of a 9x13 in. pan. Spread the pudding mixture on top of the cookies. Top with the remaining crushed cookies. Lay gummy worms on top of the "dirt" or poke them down into the "dirt".  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

To crush the cookies, I put them into a gallon plastic baggie and banged on them with my meat mallet :) You could also put them into a food processor
Mix the cream cheese mixture and the pudding mixture together.
Fold in the whipped topping.
Dirt dessert can also be made into individual serving cups.

I decorated with some live cut flowers to make my cups more "adult". I just took my live flowers, wrapped about an 1 1/2 in. of the bottom of the stem in plastic wrap and stuck it down into the dirt.



Happy Spring!!!!

I hope you enjoy this fun recipe.

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment