Friday, March 9, 2012

Frontier Soup's Chicken and Noodle Review


     Some of you may be wondering why I haven't blogged any yummy recipes this week. This week my house has been undergoing a little construction/renovation project. My heater died and had to be replaced. I know that doesn't sound like a huge deal, but my old heating beast was a floor heater (giant antique, grate in the floor, old beast). The new heater is a forced air unit. Holes had to be sawed in my ceilings. The old unit had to be removed, floor filled in, and repaired. There were men everywhere, dust flying, insulation, sawdust, and all sorts of grossness going on. It was not exactly the environment that I enjoy cooking in....so I didn't.
     On the first day of the project one of the workers knocked on my door bright and early at 7:15 to get started. I let him and and ask him how he was, his reply, " well not too good, I threw up before I came." Ummmmmm super!! That was SO what I wanted to hear (insert lots and lots of sarcasm). He worked in my house for 2 days touching all sorts of door handles, leaving germs and such. Needless to say yesterday my muscles were hurting and I was exhausted. I chalked it up to stress from the project and all the cleaning to get the house back into shape after they left. This morning I woke up more sore than yesterday and with other lovely symptoms (see the symptoms the worker guy had).
     There would be no cooking taking place today either since I felt like crud. However, I remembered that I had a little packet of chicken and noodle soup in the kitchen from Frontier Soups . I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to try out their soup mix and share a review with you. Chicken and Noodle soup is supposed to be the healer of all things.
     In order to make the soup you needed the soup packet, 6 cups of broth, 2 T. of butter, and a chicken breast. I didn't have any chicken breast un-thawed so I just used a can of chunk chicken (like tuna, but it's chicken). I also added a can of carrots, 1/2 C. Minute Rice, and 1/3C. Celery. I'm not a big fan of soupy soups. I'm more of a chunky soup person. So I added the extra veggies. Plus, more veggies equals more healing vitamins!!
     The soup was very easy to make. I think that using the canned chicken made it even easier. The only utensils I needed was my can opener, a spoon, and scissors to open the soup packets.
     I love that the soup mix didn't require many extra ingredients to purchase. I really hate to spend money on a mix only to find out that you have to buy 10 other ingredients to put WITH the mix. This soup didn't require that. I also love that it was a "quick fix". I wasn't feeling much like standing in the kitchen for a long period of time to make the soup and it didn't require me to. It took maybe 30 minutes to cook. It would have taken a little longer if I had used fresh chicken breast.
     The soup smelled very good while it was cooking. Like I said before I'm not much for a soupy soup, so I served my soup over some mashed potatoes. It tasted very good.
     I would definitely buy this mix again. It was so nice to have a simple quick meal to fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment