Saturday, March 24, 2012

People Puppy Chow.....more chocolate peanut butter love!


     Growing up this is probably one of the first recipes that I made "all by myself". I remember making this in 4-H at a cooking meeting. I remember being proud because I made it "all by myself". Where I am from it is called People Puppy Chow, I guess because it sort of looks like dog food?? Or because we snarf it down like dogs? However it tastes nothing like dog food (I'm guessing here because I've never eaten dog food). I have also heard it called muddy buddies and chocolate peanut butter snack mix (oh original creative name there).
     You may think I am crazy once you see that I mix mine up in a big paper sack, but you will thank me once it's time to do the dishes!! This stuff it yummy, but kind of messy to make. It's SO worth it though!! If you are a peanut butteraholic like me...you will appreciate this recipe. Let's get to work!

People Puppy Chow

1 C. Peanut Butter
1 Bag Milk Chocolate Chips (11.5-12 oz)
1/2 C. Margarine (1 stick)
1 Box Rice Chex
3 C. Powdered Sugar


In a microwave safe dish, melt the peanut butter, chocolate, and margarine. Cook for 30 sec. intervals stirring each time until melted and creamy. Pour the mixture over the cereal. Toss to coat.

In a large paper sack combine the coated cereal and powdered sugar. Roll the bag down tight and shake to coat. Allow to cool and dry. Store in a airtight container.

Combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, and margarine in a microwave safe dish. Melt until creamy and smooth.
Pour the creamy chocolate mixture over the cereal. Toss to coat.
Use a clean brown grocery bag for the next step.
Pour the chocolate/cereal and the powdered sugar into the brown paper bag.
Roll the paper bag down tight and shake shake shake to coat. (I do this over the kitchen sink because sometimes powdered sugar finds it's way out of the bag)


Allow the mixture to cool and dry before storing.

 I hope you all enjoy the People Puppy Chow recipe. I also hope that it all sells tomorrow at our Relay for Life Fundraiser!!! (less that I will be eating if it sells) Enjoy!

-Jessica

1 comment: