Saturday, March 31, 2012

Rock Chalk Tots.....pure game food!!


     My favorite team is still in the Final Four. In fact....the game is getting ready to start. I'm going to quickly crank out this blog post so I can go and cheer on my team!! I hope you enjoy this "game food". What's not to love? It has bacon, cheese, tots, caramelized onions......*insert a Homer Simpson drooling noise*


Rock Chalk Tots

1/2 Bag of Tater Tots, baked until golden and crispy
1 Large onion, sliced and cooked until caramelized
6 -8 Strips of Bacon, Cooked and crumbled
1/2-1 C Shredded Cheese
1 small bunch of green onions, diced

Top your cooked tater tots with the caramelized onions. Spread the onions out evenly over the tots. The next layer is the crumbled bacon pieces. Top that with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes in a 375 deg. oven. Remove from the oven and top with the diced green onions. Serve with your favorite dippers (sour cream, ketchup, barbecue sauce)

I started out by caramelizing my onion. I had a HUGE onion (over 1 lb). I used about 5 T. Margarine and put it all into a heavy skillet on medium heat.

Occasionally stir the onion and eventually it gets this deep caramel coloring YUM!! It does take a while, so be patient.
After everything is cooked, you just start layering. Tots then caramelized onions, bacon is next...
Cheese is the last item, then into the oven for 15 min. to melt the cheese and warm everything up.
When it comes out of the oven, top with the green onions and serve hot!



Enjoy this at your next big game party!!!

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment