Friday, March 16, 2012

Flip Flop Wreath.....perfect for Summer!


     You may not know this about me, but I'm a flip flop addict. I love love love flip flops!! I love to wear them. I love to wear shirts that have flip flops ON them. I love to write on note pads that have flip flops. I even have some flip flop shaped pillows for my giant chair in my office. Oh and a flip flop accent rug. I'm slightly obsessed.
     When I decided to start a Relay for Life team in support of my Mom, the obvious theme for our team was Flip Flops. We named our team Flip Flopping Towards A Cure. Our Relay camp last year was decked out with palm trees, flamingos, hoola girls, and of course we all wore flip flops!
     This year the theme for the ENTIRE Relay is TropiCURE Paradise....ummmm can you say FLIP FLOPS required?!?!?!
     I had run across the most adorable idea on Pinterest (another one of my obsessions). It was for a flip flop wreath. I knew that I HAD to make one for myself, but I also knew I had to make one for the silent auction at our Relay. It would fit in perfectly with the theme!!
     Last year at the end of Summer, I bought several pairs of children's flip flops when they were on a closeout end of season clearance. I think I paid maybe .50 or .25 cents a pair. I tucked them away knowing I was going to make this wreath.
     Soooooo I recently got the crafting spirit and pulled out my flip flops to get craftin'!

What you will need:
6-8 pairs of flip flops (depending on sizes you may need more or less)
Hot Glue Gun
Ribbon
First you want to separate your flip flops out. You want to use either all lefties or all righties for your wreath. You can essentially make two wreaths (which is what I did, I did a all lefts wreath and another with all of the right side shoes).
Next you want to lay out the flippey flops. Decide which colors and patterns you want beside each other. I ended up with several different sizes of shoes, so that was also a factor for me. I had to decide which sizes made the best shape.
Now you need to get your hot glue gun all heated up......
Next pick up a toe or heel of a flip flop and hot glue it down. Continue to glue your way around the wreath until all of the toes and heels have been glued together.
Lastly, tie some cute ribbon on and make a bow. I just made a double bow. I also made a loop on the back for a hanger. I put it up on my door for a cute summer decoration. The other wreath will be donated for our Relay for Life Event.

That's my simple summer flip flop craft!! Enjoy!

-Jessica

18 comments:

  1. This is absolutely adorable! Living in the south, for us flip flops are our everyday shoes. Love it. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it. I can't take total credit for it though, I had seen one done up and this is just my version :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like there should be bright gerber daisies on the flip flops wear the toe seperators are and a larger bow but such a great idea!!!I think I'm gonna make one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had actually tried putting flowers there, but it looked silly to me. Glad you like the idea!!

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am gonna so copy this! Love it! Found you on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Sarita. Have fun making your flippy flop wreath :) I love mine, have had lots of compliments on it hanging on my door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what sizes did you end up using?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are all kids size flip flops, but I ended up with 3 or 4 different sizes because that was what was left in the clearance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to be a perfect decoration for all of our Women's Retreat Craft rooms as we are decorating flip flops for the battered women's shelters in our area. Our Over arching theme for the retreat is SeaSide Escape -- "Can you say Flip Flops Required!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun Sharon!! I'm glad you liked the idea and I hope it works well for your craft rooms!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made 4 of these but I am wondering what you used to hang it from the door. I don't see a loop for hanging in your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made a loop on the back for hanging (see the solid yellow ribbon in the picture...that is what I hang it by). I just looped it over the piece that goes through the flipflop (on the back side). Enjoy your flippey flop wreaths!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome idea. And a great craft for my daughter and I to make and for give away gifts at our Reunion at the end of the month. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you. The 2nd wreath that I made goes up on the auction block tonight at our Relay for Life event. I'm excited to see what it brings....I hope it raises some money to help kick cancer's tush!! Thanks for stopping by the blog!! Have fun making the wreath with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My 10 year old and I just loved this idea. We bought the flops, the ribbon and got to work making one for our door and the other for our cottage. After letting the hot glue harden and sit for 24 hrs we hung them and within a couple of hours, they fell apart. Both of them. We tried again with hot glue, fell apart again. Tried with heavy duty adhesive spray, fell apart..I'm about ready to throw it all in the trash. Any last minute suggestions before I do? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elaine-
    That's interesting......here are my thoughts, but keep in mind I'm not a hot glue expert by any means.

    -Were your glue sticks old?

    -maybe try cleaning the area where you are going to glue lightly with some rubbing alcohol to take off any residue that may be keeping the glue from sticking.

    -Did you let your hot glue gun heat up very well before you started? Maybe the glue was only semi hot and cooled before it really joined the flip flops?

    -Once you join the flip flops use your fingers and pinch the spot together for a few seconds to make sure it bonds well.

    Ok, those are just a few things that I could think of. I hope it works out for you. I haven't had any trouble with mine falling apart.

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this craft...it is so cute. I am also afraid of my wreath coming apart due to hot summer weather. Where do you find 3M mounting squares?

    ReplyDelete