Friday, October 28, 2011

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies.....Halloweenie Style

I just love making sugar cookies for the holidays. They are so fun and colorful. I love getting out the special cookie cutters and deciding which ones to use. Am I a weirdo? If so I'm ok with it. Cookie making is fun. (Except for the dirty dishes it creates)
    There is a recipe that circulates locally. It is rumored to be "THE" recipe from this great little bakery that closed a few years back.  I used to LOVE their sugar cookies (pre gluten free days). So last year I decided I would take this little recipe and turn it gluten free!!


Drake's Bakery Sugar Cookies
‎1&1/2 sticks real butter (softened)
3/4c sugar
2 eggs
1T vanilla
2 3/4c flour (use your favorite gluten free mix and about 1/2 tsp xantham gum)
2t baking powder.

Combine all ingredients. Chill the dough in the fridge for about 20 min. Roll out the dough on a well floured surface. Cut into shapes with your favorite cookie cutters. Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet and Bake at 350 8-9minutes. Cool cookies on a wire rack.

Icing: 2C Powdered sugar 1/2 t almond extract 1/2 t vanilla 3T warm water. Combine and dip cookies in the icing. Dry on wire rack until icing is set up.

I always start with the softened butter and sugar first. Cream the two together.
I find the easiest way to roll out dough is on a well floured surface. Then cover the dough with saran wrap. It doesn't stick to everything that way!!
Once your cookies are cut, I find that it is easier to remove the dough around the cut cookie, then use a floured small spatula to place it on the baking sheet.
Remove the cookies from the baking sheet asap. Cool the on a wire rack.
Use magic fairy dust to clean up the mess, or hire someone. ha
Enjoy the recipe and have a Happy Halloween!!

-Jessica








No comments:

Post a Comment