Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sweet and Sour Meatloaf......the meatloaf of champions!


Sweet and Sour Meatloaf

1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I sometimes use ground turkey)
1 c breadcrumbs (I usually use crumbled tortilla chips 1/2c and 1/2c minute rice)
1/4 tsp Pepper
2 eggs
1tsp minced onion
2 8oz cans tomato sauce

Topping:
1 of the cans tomato sauce
2tbsp. brown sugar
2tbsp. vinegar
1/2 C Sugar
2tsp. yellow mustard

Mix together beef, breadcrumbs (or tortilla chips/rice), pepper, and eggs. Add onions and one can of tomato sauce. Form into a loaf in a 9x5x3 pan. Bake at 350 deg. for 50 min. In a saucepan combine topping ingredients. Bring to a boil. Pour over the meat and bake for another 10 min.
     ___________________________________________________________


I can't take the credit for this recipe. This recipe is the meatloaf that I grew up on. It is my Mommy's meatloaf recipe. I never understood why kids hated meatloaf....my Mom always made yummy meatloaf!!!

This was one of those recipes that was very easily converted to gluten free. We tried several things instead of the bread crumbs and finally settled on a combination of crushed tortilla chips and some minute rice.

To me this is warm comfort food!! Enjoy.

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment