Friday, December 2, 2011

Apple Cranberry Crisp


     The other day on the news a local nutritionist was making a Cranberry Apple Crumble. It peaked my interest. I had some cranberries in the fridge that needed to be used.....hummmmmmmm The lady on the news was making hers all healthy (she was a nutritionist after all). I wasn't wanting to go overboard with the healthyness. So I decided to use my regular old apple pie filling recipe, but add in the cranberries. Then for the topping I would use a topping that I sometimes use for crisps and crumbles. So here is what my result is:

Apple Cranberry Crisp

5-6 Apples (peeled and diced into chunks)
1 C Cranberries (washed)
1 T. Lemon Juice
1 T. Cornstarch
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Pie Spice
1 C. Sugar (more or less depending on the tartness of the variety of apples you chose)

Crisp Topping Ingredients:
1 C. Gluten Free Flour Mix
3/4 C. Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/3 C Butter (melted)

     Pre-heat oven to 350 deg. Spray a 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray. In the pan place apples, cranberries, spices, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Mix well coating all of the apples and cranberries.
     In a small bowl Mix the ingredients for the crisp topping. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt until combined. Add egg and mix with a spoon until combined. Mixture will be crumbly.
     Sprinkle topping mixture over the apple/cranberry mixture. Pour melted butter over the topping mixture. Bake in a 350 deg. oven for 50 min. or until apples are cooked through and top is golden brown.
   Serve it warm, and with ice cream if you dare :)

Diced apples and cranberries
Combine cornstarch, sugar, spices and lemon juice
Combine to coat the apples and cranberries
Combine the Ingredients for the topping. Mix with a spoon until combined and "crumbly".
Spread the topping over the apple/cranberry mixture. Pour melted butter over the topping. Bake at 350 until golden brown (about 50 min.)
Mmmmmm!
If only I had some vanilla ice cream.......I should have planned ahead!

Well the recipe turned out very well. I liked the flavor of the tart cranberries with the apples. I would try it again! It was something different instead of the same old apple crisp or crumble. If only I had a little vanilla ice cream to go with it, that would have made it heaven!! Let me know what you think!

-Jessica






No comments:

Post a Comment