Monday, December 26, 2011

Trashy Taco Soup


     Today I was looking at a recipe that I had found on Pinterest, however the link led me to this recipe site that did not include the recipe that I had pinned. I decided to look at the yummy pictures on that website anyways. I saw a recipe for taco soup. The soup looked thick in the picture. I like thick soup. I think that has something to do with the lack of good crackers in the gluten free world! ha
    I decided to click on the picture of the soup and see what it entailed. It led me to yet another website. I finally landed on an actual recipe and not a series of links that got me lost! ha This lady created a yummy taco soup, or rather it sounds like her Mom may be the creator. Her post says "Thank God and Mama for this trashy-good Taco Soup." I of course adapted her recipe and am paying homage to the blogger, or her Mama in the name of my revamped recipe. I'm calling mine Trashy Taco Soup. ha  I'm pretty sure that blogger and I would get along well. She is a fan of Fritos! Who doesn't love a frito?

Trashy Taco Soup

1 pound ground chicken, turkey OR Beef
1 diced onion
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (10-ounce) can RO*TEL® diced tomatoes and green chilies
2 cans tomato sauce
1 (15-ounce) cans black beans , drained and washed
1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and washed
1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (1-ounce) envelope taco seasoning
1 (1-ounce) envelope ranch salad dressing and seasoning mix

Garnishes: Corn chips, cheese, sour cream, green onions

In a skillet, fry ground meat and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is translucent. Drain any liquids off of the meat. Dump meat and onion into your crock pot. Add in beans, seasoning mixes, tomatoes, Rotel, corn and stir until mixed.

Cook on Low heat in your crock pot for 6-8 hours OR can be cooked on the stove top. If cooking on the stove top simmer on low for 45min.- 1hour.

Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!




    One of the great things about this recipe is that you can adjust it to what your family likes. If you don't like tomatoes you can leave them out. If you hate black beans use more pinto. Or if you are like me and don't happen to have a can of black beans, then you can use something else. I had to use northern beans because for some reason there were no black beans in my pantry. For meat I used ground chicken because that is what I had. I love that the recipe is so versatile! I also love that it can all be thrown in the crock pot without a zillion dirty dishes.

Enjoy!!

-Jessica

1 comment: