Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lemon Yogurt Quick Bread (cake, but it sounds healthier if you say quick bread)

     I am a huge lemon fan. I will give just about any recipe a try if it is lemon flavored. I'm pretty sure that is a gene that came from my Dad.  I ran across this recipe on Pinterest a couple of months ago, but just hadn't taken the time to make it. However, I had some yogurt in my fridge that I needed to use, so this was the perfect opportunity (excuse).
     As always I didn't follow the exact recipe. The original recipe called for Greek Yogurt, but I just had regular yogurt. It also called for fresh lemon juice, I didn't have that I just had the kind that comes in the bottle.  Without real lemons you have no zest...so didn't have that either. I DID have lemon extract so I figured what I lacked in lemoneyness I could make up for with my extract. 
     I would have to say that my recipe turned out pretty yummy and I will be making this again.

Lemon Yogurt Quick Bread

1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Flour Mix
1 tsp Xantham Gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yogurt
1 cup sugar
3  eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 deg. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon juice, and extracts (lemon and vanilla). Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Cake can be glazed if you wish:
I used this recipe
1/4 C. Evaporated Milk
2 C. Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract

Pour over mostly cooled cake.



Enjoy!!

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment