Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Ham Dilemma and a Ham Glaze Recipe


     I always always always buy Hormel ham. It's gluten free, tastes amazing, always yummy. However, I just could NOT justify spending the $43 dollars on the single Hormel ham left at the grocery store today. I needed it for one meal for just me. We have a family Christmas to attend this weekend, and I always bring my own food. It saves alot of headaches. I always try to bring similar food to what everybody else is eating. They are having ham for dinner. I thought "no problem". UGH, until I saw that darn $43 dollar ham! ha
     I traveled to another store, absolutely zero Hormel hams. So I started looking at all of the other brands available. They had a package of a few slices of this yummy looking ham. I called the company. They told me that their ham was gluten free, but usually their packaging company put flour on the packaging so that the ham wouldn't stick to it (weird). The lady told me that "but you could just wash that off." I chuckled at her and that then led to a educational lesson for her on cross contamination and how that ham was no longer gluten free. Sometimes calling companies is exhausting and amusing.
      I moved around to check out more of the hams.....I spied this cute little ham. It was adorable. It was not HUGE. I picked it up. Turned it over to read the label and in huge black letters it said GLUTEN FREE!!! Oh my gosh I LOVE this company! So obviously this is the ham I bought. It was a perfect size, it didn't require a loan to purchase it, and it was safe!

Look at those beautiful words "Gluten Free"
    Here is the one catch to my little plan. I LOVE spiral cut ham with a glaze. My cute little ham was not spiral cut, and it did not have a glaze.........now I had a dilemma on my hands.  Ok maybe dilemma is a little too dramatic of a description. ha Never fear though...........I just made my own glaze!!
   
Amazingly Easy Ham Glaze
1/2 C. Brown Sugar
2 T. Honey
2 T. Ham drippings (liquid from the ham)
2 T Seasoned Water (don't worry I'll explain this one)

Mix the ingredients above together and brush on your favorite ham. You may need to double this recipe for a larger ham.

Seasoned water: 1 Celestial Seasonings Apple Cinnamon Tea Bag, 1 C Water, and citrus peel (orange, clementine). Boil on the stove for a few min. You will need about 2 Tablespoons of this seasoned water for your glaze recipe.

This is my pan of "seasoned water" I had some clementine peels, tea bag, and water.
The cute little ham had a netting on it that needed to be removed before the glaze was added.
Since my ham was not spiral cut, I used a knife and made slits in it for the glaze.
Brush or pour the yummy glaze all over the ham. Make sure it makes into all of the sliced pieces.
Bake according to the directions for your ham. Remove the ham from the oven about 1/2 way through the cooking time and baste the ham in the glaze. Continue cooking.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment