Sunday, August 19, 2012

Melty Cheesy Banana Peppers from Heaven


    Sometimes in life you just have to break the rules. Yep, that's right folks.....I'm a rule breaker. Well, sort of. If you call battering and frying foods rule breaking then I'm in! I try not to eat alot of fried food. However, once in a while you have to break the healthy eating rule and just go for it. I would like to think that this recipe really goes for it. Breaded, fried, and topped with cheese. I'm sure it's probably illegal in at least 3 states and a couple of small island countries.
     The origin of this idea comes from several years ago. When I was a little girl I had visited one of our neighbors with my parents. The neighbor gave us a plate of these banana peppers that she had breaded, fried, and frozen. She said you just heat them up and put Velveeta cheese on them. Oh my goodness, from that day on our family was HOOKED on these. So thank you Louise for handing us that plate of peppers.
     Of course, since going gluten free I have had to adapt and change many recipes. This happens to be one that I had to find a way to make gluten free. I seem to make a different batter each time I try the recipe, but the one that I made this time was super good. So I have to get it written down so that I don't forget it for next time.
      This batter recipe yielded crunchy outside and cooked veggies inside....perfect!

Veggie Batter

1/3 C. Corn Starch
2/3 C. All Purpose Gluten Free Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 tsp. Baking Powder
2/3 C. Milk

Mix the ingredients together with a whisk. You may have to add additional flour or milk to adjust the thickness of the batter.

Dip your veggies into the batter and fry in hot oil. (squash, banana peppers, okra, zucchini)

Wash the banana peppers, cut them in 1/2 lengthwise and be sure all the seeds are removed.
Dip the peppers into the batter, be sure that all sides and crevices are coated.
Fry in hot oil until golden brown.

Drain off the excess oil on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels.
Top with pieces of Velveeta cheese.
Bake at 250 until cheese is melted OR microwave to melt cheese.

Cheesy melty goodness sent from heaven....mmmmm




No comments:

Post a Comment