Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Banana Coconut Muffins...........mmm mmm mmm

 
   I had 4 bananas sitting in my fruit bowl staring at me for a couple of days now. Each day they looked a little more brown. Each day I said to myself.....I really need to do something with those. Finally yesterday I found the perfect inspiration on Pinterest (yes still checking into that 12 step pinterest rehab program). I saw a recipe for Banana Coconut Muffins. It wasn't the typical banana bread so I figured I would give it a shot. 
     I was super happy with the outcome of the new recipe. It was a yummy new twist to banana bread. You can find the original recipe here: Banana Coconut Muffins The lady with the original recipe said that the muffins were sort of dry. I am not a fan of dry muffins so I did a little recipe revamp to make them more moist and healthy. Here is what I came up with.

Banana Coconut Muffins

1-1/4 cups GF Flour Mix (I use Annalise Roberts' Mix )
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup Mashed Banana ( 2 bananas)
1/2 cup Applesauce
2/3 cup Sugar
1 Large Egg
1/4 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Almond Extract
3/4 cup shredded sweetened Coconut
Granulated sugar to top muffins before baking

Preheat oven to 375 deg. Line muffin tin with liners. Spray the inside of each liner with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, peel (discard the peel) and smash the bananas. Whisk together the banana's, applesauce, sugar, egg, extracts and coconut. Mix until thoroughly combined. Add in the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.

Divide the batter among the muffin liners. Sprinkle granulated sugar over the top of the batter (1/2 tsp-1tsp per muffin). Bake for 25-30 min. or until puffed and golden.

This recipe makes 8 muffins. I double the recipe to make 16 muffins.
Enjoy the muffins!!

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment