Monday, November 28, 2011

Peach Bread Pudding with Vanilla Caramel Sauce

     I was trying to think of a way to use up my leftover rolls from Thanksgiving. I either wanted to do a french toast or bread pudding. I let the folks on my USASillyYaks facebook page vote and the winner was bread pudding. I warned them fairly that I have never made bread pudding, so this is totally experimental.

Peach Bread Pudding with Vanilla Caramel Sauce

6 slices day-old bread or 5-6 leftover dinner rolls torn into pieces
1 large can of peaches
 4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk or 1 c milk and 1 c juice from the peaches
3/4 cup Brown sugar (divided)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large oven safe skillet melt the butter. Add peaches (drained) and cook for about 5 min on medium/high heat. Add raisins, 1/4 c of the brown sugar, and spices to the skillet. Mix well and turn heat down to medium. Cook another 5-7 min.
     Add bread crumbs into the skillet mixture. Stir and coat the bread crumbs with the peaches and spices.
     In a separate bowl beat the 4 eggs. Add the milk and juice from the peaches. Add in the remaining brown sugar (1/2 c) and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
     Pour the egg and milk mixture over the contents of the skillet. Let rest for about 20 min. This will allow the bread to soak up the liquids. Pre-heat oven to 350 deg. After the 20 min. rest time, then bake in a 350 deg. oven for about 40 min. or until the top springs back when lightly touched.

Vanilla Caramel Sauce

2/3 C Brown Sugar
1/4 C. Butter
1/3 C.  Evaporated Milk (1/2 of a 5oz. can)
1/2 Tsp. Vanilla

You will want to make the sauce while the bread pudding bakes. Whisk brown sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium/high heat until the butter is melted. Whisk in evaporated milk and stir until the sugar is dissolved and sauce is creamy smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract. Keep warm and serve over the bread pudding when it comes out of the oven. (I doubled this recipe because I love sauce)

Saute the peaches in the butter
Add raisins and spices and saute a little longer :)
Mix the bread in with the peaches, butter, and spices.
Pour the egg/milk mixture over the bread and let it sit to soak up the milk and eggs.
Bake at 350 deg. for about 40 min. It will come out golden brown.
While the bread pudding is baking, you need to make the caramel vanilla sauce.
Mmmmm Caramel Sauce
Dish up your warm bread pudding
Top with the amazing Vanilla Caramel Sauce and serve warm.

    Well the bread pudding turned out pretty yummy. I had never made bread pudding before, so I wasn't totally sure of what to expect. However, I liked it. I especially liked the sauce MMMMm. It would even make a great topping for ice cream!! (note to self). I hope you like my recipe!! Let me know what you think if you try it out!!

-Jessica








No comments:

Post a Comment