Sunday, November 13, 2011

Well I wasn't completely wrong.

     I thought I should update you guys on my meal at the conference. As I told you all in my last post, I checked the box to receive a gluten free meal. I didn't have too high of hopes for this going smoothly. I guess I don't have a great track record with things like this going smoothly, so that's what I based it on.
     I went to all of my morning sessions at my conference and before I knew it lunch time had arrived. The hotel had huge buffet lines set up chicken pot pie, loaded mashed potatoes, panini, tomato soup, pumpkin cheese cake, corn muffins and on and on. I found one of the staff members stationed near the buffet lines and explained my situation to him. I told him that I had checked gluten free on my registration and I was wondering if he could help me with the gluten free items at the buffet or tell me if I had a separate meal somewhere that I was supposed to have.
      Oh this poor guy, I felt bad for him because he didn't know the answer to my question. He had to then go ask one of his bosses. This lady said she wasn't aware of any special dietary needs for this conference and got on her walkie talkie to ask another person.  At this point I am loosing a little hope that I will have lunch.
      A couple minutes of time passed and a gentleman showed up. He was also unaware of any special dietary requests for my conference. However, he was very kind and said "NO PROBLEM, we will get you some food". He asked me to show him where I was sitting and said it would take a little time because they were going to have to cook something, but he would get me taken care of.
     I sat down at my table and watched my Mom eat her lunch. I quizzed her on how everything tasted. I'm sure she just loves when I do that! ha
     Pretty soon the gentleman came back carrying a covered silver tray and sat it in front of me. Boy oh boy that didn't draw any attention (insert sarcasm) ha. One lady sitting near me even said "how did you rate THAT kind of attention" haha So that of course led to a little discussion about food intolerance, you asked for it lady.
     Under my cute little silver tray was this:
I ended up with a cute heart shaped grilled chicken breast, roasted red potatoes, carrots, and sauteed spinach with peppers, garlic and tomatoes. They went SO above and beyond my expectations for lunch. It tasted amazing and they more than made up for it not being cooked and ready at lunch time.
      I guess the moral of the story is, don't be afraid to ask.

-Jessica

2 comments: