Thursday, November 3, 2011

Crock-Pot Sweet Potatoes with Applesauce


     Well today is November 3rd. That means Turkey Day is only 21 days away. I am going to attempt to share a few of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes (gluten free style, of course). It seems that Thanksgiving is a gluten filled holiday. I personally think it is one of the hardest to navigate. I opt to make my own gluten free foods and then take a plate of my safe food to dinner. I usually also take a side or dessert that can be shared with everyone. I find that it is just easier and less stressful for me to do the "take my own plate" thing. It may be more work for me, but in the long run it is better because I don't end up sick. So the day before Thanksgiving I cook a turkey, stuffing, rolls, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and a veggie. I then make a plate or two, depending on how many dinners I have to attend. Those either go into the freezer or the refrigerator and go along with me to turkey dinner.

     Ok, onto the recipe of the day. Today is a yummy side dish. It is a great one to make because it can either go into the oven or into the crock-pot. It isn't difficult to make and my family thought it was pretty tasty. I made it last year for one of our big Turkey Day feasts.  This recipe came in an email last year from Gluten Freely. The original recipe can be found here: Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes with Applesauce and now onto my version......


Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes with Applesauce

Ingredients:
  • 6 medium (2 pounds) sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes

  • 1 1/2 cups applesauce (I prefer to use cinnamon applesauce for this recipe)

  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar

  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

  • 1 teaspoon pie spice


  • Instructions:
    1. Place sweet potatoes in 2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients; spoon over potatoes.
    2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are very tender.

    This recipe can also be made in the oven. Generously spray a pan with cooking spray. Follow the same steps above for mixing. Cover with foil and Bake at 400 deg. until potatoes are fully cooked (approximately an hour).




    I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.

    -Jessica


    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment