Monday, November 7, 2011

My favorite gluten-free flour mix..........revealed!

     I'm always saying in my recipes "I use Annalise Robert's flour mix". I'm sure some of you say "what in the world is that?". Well, I asked Annalise if it would be ok to share her flour mix with you all and she said YES!! I am such a huge fan of Annalise's recipes and cookbooks. If you don't own one yet, you should put it on your Christmas list!! She has a way with baked goods......they will make you forget they are gluten free.

Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise G. Roberts
My FAVORITE gf cookbook!

   I usually mix up a large batch of this flour mix and store it in the refrigerator. I have written the recipe for the flour on top of my container with a sharpie marker so that I can easily make the recipe at any time. It saves me not having to look up the recipe each time I need to mix flour. It can be used cup for cup in gf recipes.
I keep the recipe on the lid of my plastic container.

     Annalise suggests using Authentic Foods brown rice flour in her recipe. However, I have trouble finding that and hate to spend the money on shipping costs to get it sent to me. 99% of the time I use Bob's Red Mill White Rice Flour in my recipe. Bob's is readily available in my area. I find that the white rice flour is less grainy than their brown rice flour. So if you also have trouble finding the Authentic Foods brand, then that is an alternative that I have found to be very successful.

Another little tip that I have about this mix...... Tapioca starch and tapioca flour are the same thing. Potato starch and potato flour are NOT the same thing. So carefully read labels when you are buying the ingredients to mix this. I once accidentally bought potato flour ...huge mistake!! You will for sure not make that mistake twice if it does happen to you. :)

Keep in mind that you will also need to use xanthan gum in your recipe as well as the flour mix.

Annalise's Food Philosopher Website's GF Flour Info
My Gluten Free Table-Annalise's Blog's GF Flour Info

Ok and now onto the flour mixture.................enjoy!!!

Annalise Robert's Brown Rice Flour Mix
2 cups brown rice flour
(extra finely ground)
2 parts 2 cups 6 cups
2/3 cup potato starch 2/3 part 2/3 cup 2 cups
1/3 cup tapioca flour 1/3 part 1/3 cup 1 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment