Friday, November 4, 2011

Extreme Makeover -Cornbread Edition


I had the pleasure of volunteering for Extreme Makeover Home Edition this summer. It was such a great experience. The house was built for a local military family. The husband Sgt. Alan Hill suffers from PTSD. He was unable to live with his family due to the condition. This new house was built to help bring Sgt. Hill home to his family. It was an amazing experience to be a part of. There were so many vets out helping build the Hill's home. Many of them also had PTSD. It was very inspiring to meet them and talk with them. I also had the opportunity to meet Ty Pennington, Paul DiMeo, and Johnny Littlefield. I was also in a scene with Glen Close (well I was in the background, but I totally think it counts). I had so much fun being a part of the build. It has been a long wait to see "OUR" episode on tv. Well, tonight is THE night. It airs on ABC tonight at 7pm (central time). I am attending a watch party for the show tonight. I am in charge of making the cornbread. We are having white chicken chili. So I thought I would share a few photos that I took during the makeover and also my cornbread recipe (this is the same recipe that I use for Thanksgiving stuffing, hint hint). Enjoy!!

-Jessica
This was when I got to meet Ty Pennington. He is just as cute in person.
Johnny Littlefield and me at the Extreme BBQ Throwdown. He has the most beautiful eyes.
Glen Close and Paul DiMeo. She was so nice and kind.

Cornbread (gluten free of course)

2 Eggs
1 cup liquid (water, milk, juice) I usually use milk
4 T sugar
4 T oil
1 Cup GF Flour (I usually use rice flour, or Annalise Robert's mix)
1 Cup Corn Meal
4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix well. Bake at 424 deg. in a well greased 8x8 pan for 25 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.

I usually double this recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan to make stuffing cubes for Thanksgiving.
The design team on day 2 of the build.


This is the beautiful home that was built for the Hill Family.
Welcome Home Sgt. Hill and Family!




No comments:

Post a Comment